Spectators, Get Involved!
Spectate – just rock up, enjoy the action and the craic that goes with it. The exact location can be seen on our calendar page or on each individual event info page here in the weeks coming up to the event.
So, you are thinking of coming along to a Hill or Sprint to watch the action. Great! Here are a few basic tips before you get on the road:
- By the nature of the sport, you’ll be spending a day outside, in the weather. So wrap up well, bring a few layers (including a waterproof jacket, pants and boots) – even on a beautiful day, be prepared.
- Often there isn’t any catering at the hills, so bring some food and plenty of water.
- As a general guide to spectating: obey the marshals, if they ask you to move, it’s for a good reason. Don’t stand in areas marked as “Forbidden Ground”. These are areas where it is likely that a car may go off the course or that stone chips/gravel will be thrown into the air. You don’t want to be hit in the face by a stone. Seriously, it hurts.
- Never turn your back to the action. We know this is said over and over, but Motorsport really is dangerous. Stand facing the action – you’ll be able to run if you need to.
- Do not walk on the road while the hill is live. If walking near the start/finish area, walk outisde the timing equipment – otherwise you’ll create a bit of difficulty for the time keepers and hold the show up.
- Tidy as you go. Don’t leave rubbish behind you. We race in some of the most beautiful parts of Ireland – keep them beautiful.
- Tread Carefully. Be respectful of the residents, land, animals and plantlife around the hillclimbs and sprints. Some of our events are held in UNESCO World Heritage areas. Enjoy it, don’t destroy it!
- In the paddock, keep a close eye on children. There will be lots of cars moving around – it’s loud and dangerous. We would encourage parents to bring along ear protection for kids.
- Feel free to chat with the drivers and crews – they’re an approachable bunch. And come along to the prize giving at the end of the day!